English Family


In 1966 I saw my mother for the very first time. I was 22 years and she 38. This picture of her is at the age of 38 taken in the United States where she had been living for 7 years when I first met her, and had just got through her second marriage. She came over to England to meet me and we spent 6 weeks together which could only be described as "Heaven". I learnt from her that I was the only child that she ever did have. She was delighted to spend time with me, and discovered that although I had missed out on having a mother she had also missed out of having a son. We keep in touch and have spent many holidays in Florida where my mother resides, and although she has not had the access that other grandparents have to their grandchildren nevertheless my wife and I have spent time and money making the 4500 mile journey to spend time with her. Sheila has on occasions visited our home here in Hampshire in the south of England, taking the opportunity to visit old haunts in Liverpool in the north of England the place of her birth and the place where she made so many friends.

Aunt Daisy one of my mother'saunts was the first person I ever met from my English family. I visited her at her home in Handfield Street, Liverpool and although she was very much against me meeting my mother and would never disclose her whereabouts to me,  she eventually decided to contact my mother who came to England to visit me in the July of 1966. Aunt Daisy is pictured at the end of the front row at the right of the photo. Next to her is Sheila my mother and then next to her my Grandmother who had died before I met the family. My contact with Daisy was through her parish priest. Being Roman Catholics it was through that church that I made initial enquires concerning my family.

Aunt daisy made all the arrangements for me to meet my mother for the very first time, and she instructed me to meet her and my mother outside of a public house in the Kensington area of Liverpool, called the "Sheil Park", on the junction of Prescot Road and Sheil Road. I had been waiting for some time outside before I spotted Aunt Daisy coming out of the pub, followed by a very smart and good looking women my mother. They had spent some time inside getting false courage from the alcohol that they had been drinking before they met me.. On that lovely English summer evening in the July 1966, a night I shall never forget,  the Sheil Park public house was painted green and not the brown seen in the picture.. Being only 22 years I needed some mature support meeting my mother so I took along with me a good friend called Ted Eves. His sense of humour was very helpful during what seemed a very long evening.



When I left Fazakerley Cottage Homes I was given by mistake or otherwise my Identity Card which was issued to Under 16 year olds during the European conflict. It details  on the inside page my first address being 48 Handfield Street, then my stay at Mayfields in Leeds, Yorkshire, part of the African Churches Mission, then my move to the African Churches Mission in Liverpool, and then my enforced move to Olive Mount Childrens' Hospital, and then to Fazakerley Cottage Homes. As you can see my mother parted with me in September 1944, just 3 months after my birth. When I was ready to search for my English family I had this vital document to help me. 


The house in which my mother lived when I was born. It is situated just a stones throw from the famous Liverpool Football Club. 48, Handfield Street was a few houses from the home of Aunt Daisy, and also living in the same street was my mother's brother and family, and another of her aunts


Grace and my mother in 1966. I looked on Grace as my Aunt as she was involved with the Cottage Homes "Aunt Scheme". She was the person also that gave me every encouragement and help in tracing my mother.